Quick facts about gold mining, the U.S. jewelry market, and the Golden Rules
Published: February 7, 2014
From the fact sheet
- As of Feb 6, 2014, 104 retailers have taken the important step of signing on to the No Dirty Gold campaign’s “Golden Rules” for more responsible sourcing of precious metals.
- The Golden Rules jewelers represent $9.2 billion in US jewelry sales or 13 percent of the US jewelry market, and include 8 of the top 10 retail jewelers in the US.
- US jewelry sales in 2012 totaled $71.3 billion.
- Globally, jewelry demand accounts for the equivalent of about 43percent of mine production.
- Consumers were expected to spend $4.4 billion on jewelry for Valentine’s Day last year, 20% of all Valentine’s Day gifts were jewelry.